The EKO provides social networking
- Nine dances throughout the school year for our teenagers.
- An annual June prom attended by approximately 500 students and their families.Computers and software for special education classrooms.
- A Family Fun Day with carnival games, lunch, and musical entertainment. Fun for the entire family!
- Maintaining website, a Facebook page , and a Youtube channel.
- Annual family day attended by approximately 250 students and their families.
The EKO helps in the classroom
The EKO has a grant program available to South Bay Special Education Classrooms. Special Education Teachers within the SWSELPA district can apply. The grants, up to $300 per classroom, can be used for any classroom need not covered by the ordinary school budget. Past grants have gone for classroom supplies, computer software, field trip transportation, and community oriented activities. For more information download the application form, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 1-888-MYEKPTO.
EKPTO STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS
The Exceptional Kids Parent-Teacher Organization (EKPTO) recognizes the value and importance of education. In support of exceptional students, EKPTO awards four $500 scholarships annually to qualified exceptional students. The student must have, or had, an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Selection will be based on the student’s financial needs, academic merits, and/or exceptional community services. Scholarship selection is made without regards to the applicant’s race, color, national origin, religious belief, sex, or physical ability. Click here for Eligibility Requirements and Application Form.
Use of Funds
We strive to improve the opportunities for these children and young adults by funding projects that improve the classroom setting, provide community based field trips and offer social activities otherwise unavailable to these students. In the past several years our monies have funded:
- Assistive devices and occupational and physical therapy apparatus for students.
- Field trips (including special transportation for handicapped students) to LA Zoo, Museum of Science and Industry, Aquarium of the Pacific, IMAX screenings and performances at El Camino College.
- Equipment for classrooms not included in the school district budgets (stoves, microwaves, refrigerators).
The EKO educates caregivers
We bring in outside specialists to give seminars on topics of interest to parents/caregivers. We provide access during the Family Fun Day to outside vendors who provide support services
- Parent educational workshops, living trusts, legal education workshops