The Exceptional Kids Organization (EKO) is a public charitable 509 (a) (2) and Not-for-Profit 501 (c) (3) organization. We are incorporated by the State of California, Corporation #2196848. Our Federal Employer ID number is 912105744.
The EKO was founded in 1999 by a parent of a special needs child and a special education teacher to help meet a shortage of social and educational opportunities for special needs youth. Our members include parents, teachers and community supporters. All our officers and members are volunteers without pay.
The EKO services over 400 students from ages 3 months into adulthood who have developmental or physical disabilities. These individuals are located throughout the South Bay from El Segundo to Lawndale and from Palos Verdes to Inglewood.
We focus on providing social and educational opportunities for special needs students. Our goal is to enhance our students self image and self worth by encouraging growth and independence and by recognizing and enhancing their special talents. We encourage parents and teachers to treat these exceptional kids as normally as possible and to offer them opportunities similar to their non-disabled peers.
Purpose of the EKO
- To support the provision of appropriate educational programs and activities to disabled students.
- To disseminate information concerning school programs and activities to parents and other concerned members of the community.
- To encourage and organize extra-curricular and social activities for disabled students to enhance their social skills development.
- To subsidize purchases of essential educational equipment and supplies needed for classrooms.
- To establish and maintain close working relationships between teachers and parents of disabled students.
- To encourage the improvement of educational environments of disabled students.
- To help parents and teachers by expanding their knowledge of various disabilities, handicapping conditions and ways of improving the quality of disabled students’ lives.